Best bolt cutters
There are a lot of tools that are useful in a man’s toolbox. From the simple screwdriver to power tools. However, one of the most common tools you are likely to need around the house is a bolt cutter. It is a powerful tool that has the potential to do some damage, but that is why it was created in the first place. After all, you cannot take a knife to a gun fight, can you? You cannot cut a bolt, a chain, or any other thick metal part with some pliers. You need to bring out the big guns, and here is where the bolt cutter intervenes.
Why should you buy a bolt cutter?
I am sure that you can find a reason, and not only because it looks cool on the wall of your garage. A bolt cutter is actually a pretty useful tool, and it has many purposes. Here is why you may need one:
- You can cut bolts – this is the most obvious purpose of a bolt cutter. Such a tool is designed to slice even the largest shipping bolt seals. In fact, that was its initial purpose. In the meantime, people have given this tool multiple uses. However. Modern bolt cutters are far better than the previous
- You can use a bolt cutter to customize bike shifter cables – sometimes, you may need to shorten the shifter cables and brakes, and pliers will not do. You can use a bolt cutter and finish the job in a minute. Actually, you can use a bolt cutter in any other situation when pliers cannot handle the job. Pliers or any other cutting tool, for that matter.
- You can use it to cut objects that cannot be broken or cut using conventional methods – here, I am referring to padlocks, obviously, and chains. Even wire mesh can be cut with a bolt cutter. You would think that pliers would handle the mesh, but it does not work. A bolt cutter, depending on size, will work on pretty much anything.
- It can be used by search and rescue teams – when someone is blocked in a car as a result of an accident, do you think that the search and rescue team will bring out a set of pliers? Or even a conventional bolt cutter? Not really. In fact, people like the ones from search and rescue teams have custom-made bolt cutter. They can be used on various materials, and they can differ in design. For example, the handles are made of fiberglass for more durability.
- You can use it to cut electrical wires – I always wondered why electricians use bolt cutter and not pliers. I mean, I can understand that a bolt cutter is necessary when the electrical cable is very thick, but not the rest.
The point is that a bolt cutter can be used on virtually anything that will not give in when you use traditional ways such as pliers. It is not like you are limited only to the purpose for which it was created. In fact, if you need to cut a zip tie and all you have at your disposal is a bolt cutter, by all means, go right ahead. Nevertheless, keep in mind that bolt cutters are potent tools. Their blades are sharp, strong, and unique. They all have different marks, in case you are wondering so it can be traced back to you. Leaving jokes aside, safety comes first, so make sure to think twice before you cut and how.
The advantages of a bolt cutter
Not all bolt cutters have the same shape and size, and they are made from several materials. Even so, they all have pretty much the same benefits:
- They are powerful tools – bolt cutters are so strong that they can cut several types of materials without too much effort. It can cut through a thick chain like a hot knife through butter. Their capabilities go high enough to be considered a dangerous power tools, so mind your fingers and your toes.
- The blades are generally heat-treated – the result of the heat treatment is incredible durability. As a result of this kind of treatment, the blades of a bolt cutter can go through heavy use without a scratch.
- They can exert a lot of power – when I was a child, I was actually wondering how someone can cut a chain with a bolt cutter without too much effort. It seems that the secret lies in their design. That is why they are very comfortable to use. It is the tool that does all the heavy lifting, not your arms and hands.
- They are portable – of course, it depends on the size, but even the largest bolt cutter is easy to carry around. It may be more difficult than with a regular-sized bolt cutter, but you do not need a mini-crane to lift it up.
What to consider when choosing the best bolt cutter
Selecting a bolt cutter should not be challenging. You just need to take your time and pay attention to what you want to buy. At the same time, there are a few factors you need to consider, and they are as follows:
- The quality of the blade – the idea is pretty simple. The better the material used for the blade, the more versatile the tool is. You can use it for multiple purposes if the blade is of high quality. Steel is pretty good, but forged steel with a hardened edge is better. The latter is also more durable and requires little to no maintenance.
- The handle – when it comes to a bolt cutter’s handle, comfort needs to be a top priority. That applies especially if you use to tool for long stretches. The grip needs to be secure with a non-slip feature. As you may already know, bolt cutters have long handles, and there is a reason for that. I am not going to start teaching physics now, but the length of the blades is related to physics. It gives you the leverage you need to cut hard materials. As for the material for the handles, my recommendation is to go for aluminum. They are light but sturdy. Aluminum is also more expensive than steel.
- Weight – the best bolt cutter is always lightweight. That makes it portable. Again, aluminum is lighter than steel, but it does not mean that steel bolt cutters are too heavy to carry.
- Size – the size of the bolt cutter you want is determined by the activity you want to perform. You can find multiple sizes from the 14-inch bolt cutter to the 42-inch cutter, if I am not mistaken, there are bolt cutter even bigger than that. Think about what you need and then pick a size.
What are the best bolt cutters?
I think that I provided you with all the information you need to make the right decision. Just pay attention to the specifications. Reading some bolt cutter reviews online is also something you could do to make sure that the product you want to buy has been tested by other buyers. If not, just pick one of the products below and call it a day.
Olympia Tools Power Grip Bolt Cutter
The first bolt cutter that I find to be affordable but of high quality is the one manufactured by Olympia Tools. I think you may have heard about the manufacturer, and chances are that you have one or multiple tools from them. It is a good manufacturer. None of my Olympia Tools have gone rogue so far, so it is safe to say that this one will not either.
This bolt cutter is available in multiple sizes, from the 14-inch bolt cutter to the 42-inch cutter. As you can imagine, the price goes up with the dimensions. It features patented folding handles that allow the cutter to fold easily and fit into a bag. If you are a construction worker that uses a bolt cutter a lot, you will be thankful for that feature.
The Olympia Tools bolt cutter features CR-MO hardened-steel cutting heads. They require little maintenance such as cleaning and sharpening, but the latter is not needed often. It depends on how much you use the cutter. The handles are extra-wide for maximum leverage. The pressure on your hands will be insignificant. The grip is secure and comfortable, and the non-slip coating is convenient. Overall, this is a powerful bolt cutter that will prove to be most helpful.
WorkPro Bolt Cutter
The second bolt cutter on my list of high-quality products in this category is the one from WorkPro. It is yet another powerful tool that can handle most jobs you can give it. It is available in several sizes, from 14 inches to 30 inches. It is a bit more promising than the previous product, but you have to give it a try to see the difference.
The WorkPro bolt cutter features drop forged chrome molybdenum steel jaws. If I have to translate that for you, the blades are incredibly durable and efficient. I do not think that there is a material that can withstand these blades and survive. But then again, that is what you expect from a bolt cutter, isn’t it? You can cut bolts, rods, rivets, chains, and much more.
The sturdy tubular handles have bi-material grips for comfort. The compound cutting action requires little to no effort thanks to the long handles. There is enough leverage to cut through pretty much anything. That, together with the heavy-duty blades, make this bolt cutter almost invincible.
Fiskars PowerGear Bolt Cutter
Last but not least, the bolt cutter from Fiskars is what you are looking for if you want a professional tool. I am sure that you have heard about Fiskars before. They are in the tools world what Apple is in the computer world. I realize that it is a poor analogy, but it is true. They provide tools of the highest quality, and this bolt cutter makes no difference.
There are multiple sizes available for this bolt cutter, from 14 inches to 36 inches. The PowerGear patented technology enhances leverage with over 30% more than any of the other two cutters. Especially when cutting hardened rod. The adjustable eccentric bolts allow you to optimize the jaw so that you can maintain cut performance over an extended period of time.
The blades are forged and heat-treated. You cannot hope for better blades. They stay sharp for a long time, even if you use them all day every day. The handles are, of course, ergonomic with a soft grip for your comfort. Moreover, the comfort improves the control so ultimately, the comfortable handles will help you do a better job.
Whichever product you choose at the end of the day, I am sure that you will use it with pleasure. Nevertheless, if it were me who had to make a choice, I would go with the Fiskars PowerGear Bolt Cutter. It is only a bit more expensive than the other two products, but it is worth every extra dollar. I think it is one of the best bolt cutters you can hope for.
Whether you are a professional or just a guy that likes to do things around the house, a bolt cutter is essential in your toolbox. The moments when you need one may be rare or often, but it is enough to need it one. One of the models above will fit just fine in your toolbox, and no matter which one you order, I hope you enjoy it. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Death of Bolt Extractor
- The Argument About Best Bolt Cutters for Hardened Steel
- A Secret Weapon for Bolt Cutter Proof Padlock
- Top Abus Bike Locks Choices
- Buy Bolt Cutters Explained
- The Most Popular Bike Lock Cutter
- The Foolproof Cable Cutters Strategy
- Compact Bolt Cutters for Dummies
- Top Folding Bolt Cutters Reviews!
- Who is Concerned About Knipex Mini Bolt Cutters and Why You Need to be Paying Attention
- The Chronicles of Best Bolt Cutters for Locks
- The Hidden Truth About Hydraulic Bolt Cutter
- The Secret Truth on Security Chain Exposed
- The Insider Secret on Bolt Cropper Exposed
- The Awful Side of Bolt Cutter Price
- What You Should Do to Find Out About Bike Lock Before You’re Left Behind
- What You Must Know About Strongest Bolt Cutters
- Why People Aren’t Talking About 24 Inch Bolt Cutters
- Bolt Cutters for Sale Reviews & Tips
- Surprising Facts About Screw Cutter
- The New Fuss About Bow Cut
- What the In-Crowd Won’t Tell You About Best Bolt Cutter
- What Does Cheap Bolt Cutters Mean?
- Bolt Cutter Proof Chain Tips
- Bolt Cutter Proof Lock – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- The Key to Successful Padlock Cutter
- Buying Large Bolt Cutters
- What Everyone Else Does When It Comes to Heavy Duty Bolt Cutters and What You Need to Be Doing Different
- The End of Lock Cutters
- Mini Bolt Cutters Ideas
- The Unusual Puzzle Into Bolt Croppers Revealed
- The 5-Minute Rule for Small Bolt Cutters
- The Fundamentals of Lock Cutter You Can Benefit From Beginning Immediately
- Want to Know More About Bolt Cutter?
- The 30-Second Trick for Bolt Cutters